It will go down as one of the worst draft day trades in the history of the NFL.
That’s all that can be said for the Cleveland Browns decision back in April 2007 to trade back into the late first-round of the NFL Draft so they could draft Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn (right).
On Sunday, the Browns traded the disappointing Quinn to the Denver Broncos for FB Peyton Hillis, a sixth-round selection in 2011 and a conditional choice in 2012.
Here’s what Quinn gave the Browns on the field in three seasons: 14 games played (out of 48), 13 starts, 184 of 353 passes (52.1 percent), 1,902 yards (5.4 yards per attempt), 10 TD passes and nine interceptions.
To acquire Quinn, Cleveland sent a second round choice (No. 36) in the ’07 Draft and a first-round pick in the ’08 Draft that turned into the 22nd choice to Dallas for the 22nd spot in the ’07 first-round. The Browns had already made a great decision taking OT Joe Thomas with the third pick in the first round.
It’s one of series of draft day blunders that have haunted the Browns since they returned to the NFL in 1999. That year, they had the first pick of the draft and selected QB Tim Couch, who was a bust. The next year they had the first choice again and took DE Courtney Brown, who was also a bust. In 2001 their third pick was DT Gerard Warren; a bust. A year later they used the 16th choice for RB William Green; a bust.
What followed were C Jeff Faine, TE Kellen Winslow, WR Braylon Edwards and LB Kamerion Wimbley; all first round picks from 2003-2006. When the Browns also traded Wimbley on Sunday to Oakland that meant all of those choices were no longer part of the Cleveland roster.
Also making headlines on Sunday was the New York Jets signing RB LaDainian Tomlinson; more on that in the morning.
Here’s what went down on Sunday in the league:
- BRONCOS â acquired QB Brady Quinn from the Browns for FB Peyton Hillis, a sixth-round choice in 2011 Draft and a conditional choice in the 2012 Draft.
- LIONS â acquired QB Shaun Hill from the 49ers for a seventh-round choice in the 2011 Draft.
- PACKERS â agreed to terms with OT Mark Tauscher on a 2-year contract.
- RAIDERS â acquired OLB Kamerion Wimbley from the Browns for a third-round choice in the 2010 Draft.
- RAMS â sign C Hank Fraley (Browns).