The two-man Mt. Rushmore of the Patriots: Bill Belichick and Tom Brady
Game β No. 4.
Opponent β New England Patriots.
2014 record β they are 2-1, after losing their opener to Miami 33-20, and then posting back-to-back victories over Minnesota 30-7 and Oakland 16-9. They have allowed 49 points, while scoring 66. After three games they are ranked No. 26 in offensive yards with an average of 301.3 yards per game. Despite having quarterback Tom Brady, the Pats are No. 27 in passing yards per game at 196.3 yards. Defensively the Patriots are No. 3 in fewest defensive yards allowed, giving up an average of 272.7 yards. They are plus-6 in the turnover ratio and even in the sack ratio.
Franchise began β in 1960 when the Boston Patriots were one of eight charter members of Lamar Hunt’s American Football League. They became the New England Patriots in 1971 when they moved into their new stadium in Foxboro, MA. That building changed names several times, but the Patriots played there until Gillette Stadium was built and opened in Foxboro for the 2002 season.
Ownership β The Kraft family owns 100 percent of the team. Robert Kraft, the family’s 73-year old patriarch holds 30 percent ownership. His four sons (Jonathan, Dan, Josh and David) equally share the other 70 percent. Kraft bought the Patriots in 1994 from St. Louis businessman James Orthwein for $175 million. Orthwein, a great-grandson of Anheuser-Busch found Adolphus Busch of brewery fame bought the franchise from New York businessman Victor Kiam in 1992. Kiam bought the team for $83 million in 1988 from the founding Sullivan family. It was Billy Sullivan who paid $25,000 in 1960 for a franchise in the AFL. Over the years, Sullivan had many partners and several times became 100 percent owner in the team. But Sullivan did not come from money, and eventually operating a team in a dilapidated stadium in Foxboro limited his income opportunities. Billy Sullivan died in 1988, forcing his heirs to sell the club because of the inheritance tax situation.
Quiz 1 β Patriots founder Billy Sullivan played a major part in Lamar Hunt’s life. What was his role? Sullivan made the presentation speech for Hunt when the Chiefs founder was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
General Manager β ?, the Patriots do not have a person listed as holding that title. The duties of the G.M. are split among several persons, with the most public being director of player personnel Nick Caserio. This 14th season with the Patriots, with 12 coming in the personnel department and two as an assistant coach. There is no question who holds the football power in the organization β read on. …Read More!