From the Truman Sports Complex
The Chiefs got through their second mini-camp practice on Friday afternoon with the same 80 of 84 players taking part in the workout that were there for the morning session.
“If you go back a month and a half ago to the voluntary mini-camp, where we are now I think is night and day,” said head coach Todd Haley. “Physically, conditioning, strengthwise, we look like a different group of players for the most part.
“We have lost 338 pounds, which is a significant amount of weight.Â A team loses 125 to 150 pounds in a year, that would be a good average for a team getting back into shape.Â I’m happy with the way the team is starting to look and shape up.”
QB Brodie Croyle, DE Glenn Dorsey, DT Ron Edwards and RB Kolby Smith continued to rehab injuries and did not take part in the practice.
Some observations from the afternoon workout:
– The Chiefs worked on field goals during their special teams work.Â Second-year man Connor Barth hit five of six, while rookie Ryan Succop was seven for seven.Â The kicks were between 28 and 36 yards.
– When the first team offense hit the field, Devard Darling was working as the other receiver with Dwayne Bowe.Â
– The three defensive line units were: Tyson Jackson, Tank Tyler and Alex Magee; Alfonso Boone, Derek Lokey and Bobby Greenwood; Wallace Gilberry, T.J. Jackson and Dion Gales.
– The Chiefs have 14 players working at linebacker, seven inside and seven outside.Â Working at outside linebacker are Tamba Hali, Turk McBride, Andy Studebaker, Mike Vrabel, Monty Beisel, Pierre walters and Darrell Robertson.Â Working inside were Zach Thomas, Derrick Johnson, Demorrio Willians, Corey Mays, Wes Dacus, Jovan Belcher and Corey Smith.
– The linebackers and safeties ran a coverage drill against the tight ends and running backs.Â Derrick Johnson grabbed an interception with nice under coverage of Larry Johnson.Â Hali was covering TE Tony Curtis and got a good push on him within five yards, but then lost him at the end of the route. FB Mike Cox ran over both Dacus and S Jarrad Page as they were trying to cover him. Curtis made a nice catch while sitting on his butt, after good coverage by McBride. Mays had a nice breakup of a pass to FB Jed Collins.
– When the team went to the seven-on-seven passing drill, S Bernard Pollard had a nice breakup of a long pass from QB Matt Cassel to Darling.Â Derrick Johnson had a shot at another interception in coverage, but dropped the ball.Â Mays had good coverage on a short route by RB Jamaal Charles.Â A Cassel throw to WR Dwayne Bowe was high, but Bowe went up to get the ball, but then droppedÂ it on his way down.
– In the team work portion of practice, they ran 12 plays and the defense looked good.Â CB Brandon Flowers broke up a pass for Bowe on a third-and-seven play.Â The defense sent a blitz and Cassel ended up downing the ball with a quick throw.Â RB Jackie Battle had a nice run against a defensive blitz, showing both power and speed.Â Â RB Dantrell Savage had a nice run on a draw play.