Notes & Quotes: Raiders Still Have Life

From Arrowhead Stadium

Oakland offensive coordinator Al Saunders was the last man out of the coaching booth Saturday afternoon; just moments after his team had beaten the Chiefs 16-13 in overtime.

Saunders looked like he’d just spent three hours getting battered about by last-minute Christmas shoppers at the Mall. When he looked up and saw a familiar face, the former Chiefs offensive coordinator just shook his head.

“We can’t do anything easy,” Saunders said.

No, there wasn’t anything easy about the Raiders victory over the Chiefs. There seldom is in the NFL and most assuredly there seldom is when these two teams get together. But while it wasn’t easy for Oakland, it did come with a payoff – a victory and life in the hunt for a spot in the AFC playoffs.

“A great win for our football team,” said head coach Hue Jackson. “Being on the road, right before Christmas, coming up here in a hostile environment against a good football team, a lot better team than a lot of people think they are.

“This team will keep fighting. We do some things that are uncharacteristic that makes it a little tough, but that’s pro football.”

With the victory, the Raiders are 8-7 and still alive for the AFC West title. They even have a very outside shot at a wildcard spot. What they have to do is beat the Chargers in Oakland next Sunday.

“We’re not pretty, but we fight,” Jackson said. “If we can just learn to eliminate some of the things that are hurting us, I think we’ll continue to get better.”


It’s safe to say that Chiefs fans, even those that bought tickets for this game, were not that interested in attending the game. The paid attendance was announced by the Chiefs as 70,803, but the in-house crowd looked like somewhere between 55,000 and 60,000.

Those that did show up, made noise and even in the overtime, when some of the crowd had cleared out before the Chiefs came back to tie the game, Oakland QB Carson Palmer had to cover the ear holes on his helmet to hear the play call from the sidelines.


LT Branden Albert twice left the game, once with an injury problem, the other time with a shoe issue.

Albert was down for quite some time in the first half with what appeared to be a lower left leg problem of some kind. He eventually left the field under his own power. With Albert out, RT Barry Richardson moved to left tackle and Steve Maneri came in to play right tackle.

It was just two plays later that Albert was back in the game.

Among the inactive players for the Chiefs, the only decision due to injury was SS Jon McGraw, who is still rehabbing that high left ankle sprain.


Inactive players for the Chiefs were McGraw, QB Tyler Palko, OT David Mims, WR Jerheme Urban, TE Jake O’Connell, DE Brandon Bair and DT Jerrell Powe.

With McGraw out of the starting lineup, Reshard Langford opened at strong safety.

Inactive players for the Raiders were QB Jason Campbell, WR Jacoby Ford, RB Darren McFadden, RB Taiwan Jones, S Michael Huff, G Bruce Campbell and DT John Henderson.

Starting for McFadden was Michael Bush, stepping in to the starting lineup for Ford was Denarius Moore and Matt Giordano got the start at free safety in place of Huff.

Only three players did not get into the game, all backup quarterbacks: Ricky Stanzi for the Chiefs and Kyle Boller and Terrelle Pryor for the Raiders.

Comments are closed.

Get the Flash Player to see the slideshow.


Other News