Items of note
Philadelphia β published reports citing sources close to the Eagles say the team has not talked about trading QB Nick Foles and are unlikely to consider such a move for anything less than a 1st or 2nd-round draft choice.
Dallas β former Cowboys equipment manager Jack Eskridge died Monday in Valley Falls, Kansas. He was 89 years old. Eskridge is the man who came up with the idea of the blue star on the Dallas helmet, which became an iconic logo in the NFL and remains an immediate sign of “America’s Team”. Eskridge was once an assistant coach and equipment manager for legendary basketball coach Phog Allen at Kansas. He spent 13 years with the Cowboys.
NFL β Sports Business Daily reported Friday that tax filings by the NFL show that in 2011 Commissioner Roger Goodell earned $29.49 million. That total includes a $22.3 million bonus probably tied to new labor and television contracts that were signed in ’11. Goodell made $11.6 million in 2010.
St. Louis β ten days after claiming him on waivers, the Rams released troubled WR Titus Young. “We felt Titus is better suited for another organization,” said St. Louis head coach Jeff Fisher during a Friday press conference. Earlier this month, young was released by Detroit where he had troubles with teammates and coaches.
- Buffalo β re-signed QB Tarvaris Jackson to a 1-year contract that ESPN reports could be worth as much as $4.5 million if all incentives are met; new Bills head coach Doug Marrone said Jackson and Ryan Fitzpatrick will have an open competition for the starting QB job. Re-signed soon to be RFA OL Colin Brown to a 2-year contract worth $1.445 million; Brown played/started in one game last season for the Bills, was inactive for 4 games and spent 11 weeks on the injured-reserve list with a hamstring problem. He was a 5th-round choice by the Chiefs out of Mizzou in the 2009 NFL Draft.
- Green Bay β released DB Charles Woodson; he missed the final 9 games last season with a broken collarbone. Woodson will be 37 later this year. He spent 7 seasons with the Packers, with 38 interceptions.
- Indianapolis β informed DE Dwight Freeney and WR Austin Collie that they will not be offered new contracts by the Colts. They will become free agents on March 12th.
- Philadelphia β signed OL Ed Wang; he was a 5th-round choice of Buffalo in the 2010 NFL Draft, spending two seasons with the Bills before spending the 2012 off-season and pre-season with Oakland before he was waived injured on August 27th.
- St. Louis β released WR Titus Young (see above).