Both Marty Schottenheimer and Will Shields are on the first list of nominees of the Class of 2012 for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
They join other former Chiefs on the list of 103 candidates: head coach Dick Vermeil, OT Willie Roaf, CB Albert Lewis and K Nick Lowery.
This is the first year that Shields was eligible for the Hall vote, as he’s one of nine first-time nominees. Shields lengthy and productive career should provide him with a quick entrance to the Hall.
Schottenheimer actually was a nominee back in 2000, after he left the Chiefs and was out of coaching for several years. The Hall of Fame rules have changed since then requiring a coach to be out of the game for five years before eligible.
Two other new additions to the list from the coaching ranks are former Chiefs defensive coordinator-Pittsburgh head coach Bill Cowher and Bill Parcells.
The list includes 71 players, 14 coaches and 18 contributors.
Voting will take place by the Hall’s Board of Selectors over the next month with a list of 25 semifinalists announced in mid-November.
Preliminary List of Nominees for the Class of 2012
First-year Eligible Nominees
- Quarterback β Drew Bledsoe.
- Running Backs β Tiki Barber, Stephen Davis.
- Wide Receivers β Keyshawn Johnson, Rod Smith.
- Offensive Lineman β Will Shields (G).
- Defensive Back β Troy Vincent (S).
- Kicker β Mike Vanderjagt.
- Coaches β Bill Cowher, Bill Parcells, Marty Schottenheimer.
- QUARTERBACK β Phil Simms.
- RUNNING BACKS β *Jerome Bettis, Larry Centers, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Eddie George, *Curtis Martin, Brian Mitchell (also KR/PR), Gerald Riggs, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters.
- WIDE RECEIVERS β*Tim Brown, *Cris Carter, Gary Clark, Mark Clayton, Henry Ellard, *Andre Reed, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith.
- TIGHT ENDS β Todd Christensen, Frank Wycheck.
- OFFENSIVE LINEMEN β Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Jim Covert (T), *Dermontti Dawson (C), Joe Fields (C), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Jim Lachey (T), *Willie Roaf (T), Steve Wisniewski (G).
- DEFENSIVE LINEMEN β Dave Butz (DE/DT), *Chris Doleman (DE/LB), Carl Hairston (DE/DT), *Charles Haley (DE/LB), Ed “Too Tall” Jones (DE), *Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Dexter Manley (DE), Charles Mann (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT).
- LINEBACKERS β Cornelius Bennett, Kevin Greene (LB/DE), Ken Harvey, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills.
- DEFENSIVE BACKS β Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S) LeRoy Butler (S), Kenny Easley (S), Albert Lewis (CB), Donnie Shell (S), Aeneas Williams (CB/S), Darren Woodson (S).
- PUNTERS/KICKERS β Gary Anderson (K), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P).
- SPECIAL TEAMS/POSITION PLAYER β Steve Tasker.
- COACHES β Bill Arnsparger, Bud Carson, Don Coryell, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Chuck Mather, Buddy Parker, Dan Reeves, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil.
- CONTRIBUTORS β K. S. (Bud) Adams, Bobby Beathard, Gil Brandt, Leo Carlin, Jack Kent Cooke, Otho Davis, Ed DeBartolo, Jr., Ron Gibbs, Jim Kensil, Eddie Kotal, Art McNally, Art Modell, Steve Sabol, Paul Tagliabue, Burl Toler, Sr., Jim Tunney, Ron Wolf, George Young.
*On 2011 finalists list