From Arrowhead Stadium
It was certainly no way to start a football season if the color of your jersey was red.
On a sun-splashed first afternoon of the 2012 NFL season, the Chiefs were badly smacked by the Atlanta Falcons 40-24 on Sunday.
Prodigal football son TE Tony Gonzalez returned to Arrowhead for the first time since he was traded in 2009 and helped the Falcons scored 23 unanswered points and run away with an easy opening victory.
With four starters off the field because of suspension and injury, the missing were notable in the Chiefs defensive effort. They forced three turnovers by QB Matt Cassel, allowing only two first half scores and controlling the game’s tempo.
Throughout the afternoon and evening we will be posting stories. Here’s our coverage:
- GAME STORY: Offense, defense, kicking game all fail Chiefs.
- COLUMN: Progress â¦ what progress?
- SIDEBAR: It was a great homecoming for Tony G.
- SIDEBAR: Good Cassel/Bad Cassel both show up.
- SIDEBAR: Defense can’t stop Falcons.
- SIDEBAR: Matt Ryan is Falcons man.
- SIDEBAR: Replacement officials get the job done.
- NOTES & QUOTES: Where is Jon Baldwin?
- PLAY OF THE GAME: Succop’s missed FG.
- REPORT CARD: Chiefs fail.
- KEYS TO WINNING: Recap
- Pre-Game coverage