After 3 trying weeks of putting up with fewer points than their opponent, the Chiefs went to FedEx Field in suburban Washington, D.C. and blasted the struggling Redskins 45-10.
It was an afternoon of snow, sleet and even some rain, but Andy Reid’s team did not let that bother them. They never trailed, scoring 17 points in the first quarter and putting up 31 unanswered points to start the game. By half-time the Redskins of head coach Mike Shanahan and quarterback Robert Griffin III were just looking forward to the end of the game.
With the victory, the Chiefs needed help to assure their spot in the AFC playoffs. But both Baltimore and Miami won. The Chiefs are 10-3, the Ravens and Dolphins are both 7-6. There are 3 games to play. A victory over Oakland this coming Sunday punches their ticket for the playoffs. So would a loss by either Baltimore or Miami.
Here’s our coverage of a victory that gave the Chiefs a 4-0 record against the NFC East this season:
- GAME STORY β Struggling foe helps put Chiefs back on track.
- COLUMN β The best thing going for the Chiefs right now β Andy Reid.
- SIDEBAR β In the quarterback battle, the Chiefs win this one.
- SIDEBAR β The first quarter was all the Chiefs needed Sunday.
- SIDEBAR β Dexter ran around in the snow like Rudolph.
- SIDEBAR β Jamaal Charles has his best rushing day of the season.
- SIDEBAR β Clock is ticking on Shanahan in D.C.
- NOTES, QUOTES – Chiefs pass rush returns.
- AFC PICTURE β Chiefs need one more victory.
- REPORT CARD β Almost straight A’s for Chiefs in this one.
- OFFICIALS REPORT β Zebras were not much of a factor.
- KEYS TO WINNING/RECAP β Chiefs go 4 for 4 on prime goals.
- PRE-GAME COVERAGE